People power is essential to the success of many causes - Here are some quick tips to keep volunteers engaged and motivated.
10 ways to motivate volunteers
These small acts will greatly encourage and motivate your volunteers in your organisations as they feel appreciated and valued.
1. Identify your volunteers’ motivations early. Understand why they want to volunteer with your organisation
and determine if their needs would be met through their volunteer experience.
2. Match their interests to the relevant volunteer positions. Do not ask them to assume positions they do not want.
3. Provide a comfortable place for volunteers to interact and rest.
4. Build a volunteer-friendly atmosphere in your organisation. Encourage your staff to acknowledge the presence of
volunteers by smiling at them or saying thank you when they have completed their volunteer jobs.
5. Provide and prepare sufficient support facilities to volunteers so that they can finish their assignments
6. Identify volunteers’ training needs and provide training which will enable them to perform their assignments
7. Provide adequate welfare for volunteers such as meals or refreshment when they volunteer over a meal time.
8. Celebrate successes with volunteers by throwing them a party or give them surprise gifts.
9. Organise volunteer feedback sessions with your management and welcome their suggestions for the volunteer
10. Publicise the contributions of volunteers to your stakeholders through your newsletter, website or notice board.